Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/themacon/public_html/core/vb/string.php on line 747

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/themacon/public_html/core/vb/string.php on line 747

#1 Ohio State teams losing to the same college (x2) - The MAC Online Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
#1 Ohio State teams losing to the same college (x2) Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• #1 Ohio State teams losing to the same college (x2)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Florida the first, and only, team to knock off the same #1 school in college football and college basketball in the same collegiate year, (i.e. Ohio State) in 2006-07?

If so, Ohio State now has the dubious honor of that happening to them twice (with today's bball loss to Wisconsin), and not even happening to another college even once. I guess there is some solace in having the number #1 team in football and basketball in the same season, and then repeating it 4 years later. Of course, it only matters how you finish the season...
    Last edited by baxter; 02-12-2011, 07:28 PM.

Re: #1 Ohio State teams losing to the same college (x2)

I thought they had a screen shot on ESPN today about this, I'm thinking it has happened 3 or 4 other times.

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised if the same school has done it before. It might be the only other time a school has done it to the SAME school in the same season.
      Last edited by Tismal; 02-12-2011, 06:33 PM.

Comment

Straight from ESPN...

This is the eighth time a school has beaten the No. 1 team in both football and basketball in the same season.

And...

The Badgers joined Florida as the only programs to knock off the same No. 1 school in both football and men's basketball in the same academic year. The Gators also beat Ohio State in both sports in 2006-07.

Comment

Originally posted by Real MACster View Post
          Straight from ESPN...

This is the eighth time a school has beaten the No. 1 team in both football and basketball in the same season.

And...

The Badgers joined Florida as the only programs to knock off the same No. 1 school in both football and men's basketball in the same academic year. The Gators also beat Ohio State in both sports in 2006-07.

Right, I was trying to make the point of the latter.

Comment

I hate Wisconsin.

Comment

The state of Wisconsin has had a pretty successful week.

Comment

Originally posted by burnsumbutter View Post
                The state of Wisconsin has had a pretty successful week.
                However this loss to the Badgers will not be near as painful in basketball as it was in football. Unlike the BCS in football your season isn't wrecked with a loss in basketball. How they respond and move forward from here will yet to be seen.

Comment

The Buckeyes played a very good team on their home court where they never lose. It took lights out 3-point shooting to pull off the win. We can't be too disappointed. I'm hoping for a rematch in the Big Ten tournament. If Wisconsin can hit 50% from 3's and hit twelve three pointers, good for them. If they can't, good for us!

Comment

It's just aggravating that a 15 point lead was blown.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiefWahoo View Post
                      It's just aggravating that a 15 point lead was blown.
                      Not to pick on you Chief, but that's a pet peeve of mine. Maybe we didn't blow a 15 point lead, maybe Wisconsin had a great rally. Give the other team credit once in a while. If Ohio State had been down 15 and came back, we wouldn't say Wisconsin blew the lead, we'd say Ohio State had a great comeback.
                      Wisconsin wins 92% (??) of their home games, They played very well and we still came within an eyelash of beating them. Just read an article on the game online (forget where) but he said 'Vegas had Wisconsin favored. And he thought there's no reason Ohio State shouldn't stay at #1 next week.

Comment

Ridiculous 8 minutes by Jordan Taylor, but the 2 three's by the floppy haired guy were probably the killer points.

Comment

Wisconsin has to make a trip to Columbus too...see how the outcome is there. I thought this game would be tough for OSU to win...it is tough to lose a 15 point lead like that, but OSU is a good team they will be fine. Tip your cap to the Badgers, they hit the shots they had to to win the game. This is only a bad loss if OSU lets it carry over. If they get back to work and focus on the job at hand, they will be fine. It only hurts OSU if they let it be.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobby View Post
                            Not to pick on you Chief, but that's a pet peeve of mine. Maybe we didn't blow a 15 point lead, maybe Wisconsin had a great rally. Give the other team credit once in a while. If Ohio State had been down 15 and came back, we wouldn't say Wisconsin blew the lead, we'd say Ohio State had a great comeback.
                            Wisconsin wins 92% (??) of their home games, They played very well and we still came within an eyelash of beating them. Just read an article on the game online (forget where) but he said 'Vegas had Wisconsin favored. And he thought there's no reason Ohio State shouldn't stay at #1 next week.
                            I consider it blown when OSU takes no timeouts throughout the run, misses a couple shots(two that went in and out), and gave up open three pointers to a team that wasn't missing. Did Wisconsin shoot unbelievably well to make the comeback? Sure did, but it still seemed like there were things OSU could have done to stop the momentum.

Comment

Heck, I even think with the loss, it takes some pressure of the kids to go undefeated. Because look how many times we heard they were the only team left that is undefeated( even though they were), and Im sure when they would have to talk to the media, they were asked about being undefeated. I just think that this loss takes some pressure off of them. This may sound crazy but, this may be the best thing for them because now the only thing they have to worry about is just basketball and not basketball and going undefeated.

Comment

Working...
                              X