Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/themacon/public_html/core/vb/string.php on line 747

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/themacon/public_html/core/vb/string.php on line 747

"The Men Who Built America" on History Channel - The MAC Online Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
"The Men Who Built America" on History Channel Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "The Men Who Built America" on History Channel

‎"The Men Who Built America" on the History Channel was fantastic last night. Glad I chose to watch that instead of "The Men Who Can't Save America" on network TV.

Anyone else watch it? It will be on again Saturday. Highly recommend it. It's a four-part mini-series covering the "Age of Enlightenment" in America. Last night started with Vanderbilt and the railroads, moved to Rockefeller and the oil biz, and just touched on Carnegie getting into the steel business. They'll pick up there next Tuesday. It's so odd how intertwined their stories really are, and not always in good ways. These guys were ruthless businessmen. And I mean ruthless!

Really looking forward to the next three parts. It's good to know that History Channel is still capable of putting out great Historical documentaries. For some reason, I doubt that Chumlee is going to be on the final episode. Of course, the way they like to plaster the guys from their "reality shows" all over the place, maybe I shouldn't be surprised.

Re: "The Men Who Built America" on History Channel

Didn't see it but was worried it would be like America: The Story of Us which was HORRIBLE!!!

Comment

Tough to say. They had Donald Trump, Mark Cuban, and a bunch of other celebrities on the show, but since it's businessmen talking about businessmen, it's not so bad. I know a lot of people didn't like the celebs on "Story of Us" so if that's your gripe, you may be a bit put off by them.
      The thing I try to do when watching these mini-series' is that there's going to be some Hollywood to it. I don't take everything as word-for-word or to be 100% completely accurate.

Comment

They didn't build that.

Comment

I watched a little of it last night and my wife has the series set to be recorded on our DVR. The part I watched was very good.

I thought "America: The Story of Us" was okay as well. And "Hatfields & McCoys".... I typically enjoy the mini-series that History Channel puts on.

Comment

I thought it was interesting how they had one of the Rockefeller's from today talking about John Rockefeller and they didn't act overly proud of his accomplishments.

Comment

Originally posted by Whasup View Post
              Tough to say. They had Donald Trump, Mark Cuban, and a bunch of other celebrities on the show, but since it's businessmen talking about businessmen, it's not so bad. I know a lot of people didn't like the celebs on "Story of Us" so if that's your gripe, you may be a bit put off by them.
              The thing I try to do when watching these mini-series' is that there's going to be some Hollywood to it. I don't take everything as word-for-word or to be 100% completely accurate.
              I'ts businessmen or celebs talking about history that puts me off. I'm guessing the stuff they're saying has been written for them by a historian.

It's the HISTORY Channel talking about HISTORY. Shouldn't they be 100% accurate?

Comment

Originally posted by Bobby View Post
                I'ts businessmen or celebs talking about history that puts me off. I'm guessing the stuff they're saying has been written for them by a historian.

It's the HISTORY Channel talking about HISTORY. Shouldn't they be 100% accurate?
                No one can be 100% accurate. Not even the greatest historian knows exactly how everything played out.

Also, the celebs seemed to be talking on a personal level. Trump talked about how when times are tough, that's when it's the right time for these guys to buy buy buy. Cuban talked about the competitiveness of entrepreneur's. They weren't really telling the stories of these guys, just explaining business moves and practices, the mindsets, how to be successful, etc. It wasn't bad.

I didn't see "The Story of Us" so can't tell you if it's similar or not.
                Last edited by Whasup; 10-17-2012, 01:28 PM.

Comment

Watched it last night as well. I thought it was pretty awesome like Whasup said with how intertwined Vanderbilt and Rockefeller were. I will definitely be having someone record the series for me incase I miss any of it. The commercials for Mankind: The Story of All of Us looked pretty good too so I may have to check that one out when it comes on in November. http://www.history.com/shows/mankind...y-of-all-of-us

One thing that I didn't quite catch last night as I was flipping from the debate during commercial break was how did Vanderbilt lose $7 million after he bought the Erie RR stock. I'm guessing something about the stock being worthless but like I said, I missed a few minutes of it and didn't get all of that.

I never really thought this part of history was all that interesting until I started watching last nights episode. Man, that was some good stuff and it will definitely get me to look that info up.

Comment

Originally posted by SRCCHAMP82 View Post
                    Watched it last night as well. I thought it was pretty awesome like Whasup said with how intertwined Vanderbilt and Rockefeller were. I will definitely be having someone record the series for me incase I miss any of it. The commercials for Mankind: The Story of All of Us looked pretty good too so I may have to check that one out when it comes on in November. http://www.history.com/shows/mankind...y-of-all-of-us

One thing that I didn't quite catch last night as I was flipping from the debate during commercial break was how did Vanderbilt lose $7 million after he bought the Erie RR stock. I'm guessing something about the stock being worthless but like I said, I missed a few minutes of it and didn't get all of that.

I never really thought this part of history was all that interesting until I started watching last nights episode. Man, that was some good stuff and it will definitely get me to look that info up.
                    In the fine print on the stock certificates it said that the management at Erie RR had the right to issue more stock. So a couple of them who knew the hostle take over was coming set up shop and printed stock certificates by the 100's of thousands thus watering down the value and getting paid full price by Vanderbilt. This was perfectly legal at the time, basicaly because these guys were the first to do it.

You can't do that kind of thing these days unless your company happens to be called (The Federal Reserve).

Comment

This show is on again tonight at 9pm on the history channel for anyone wanting to catch the 2nd episode.

Comment

First one is on as we speak. I would assume they will show the first at 5 next week, 2nd at 7, and the third at 9. That's been the standard for most of their 4-part miniseries'.

Comment

With all the glowing reports, I'm recording three episodes on back to back to back Tuesday night. Can't wait to see them.

Comment

I also am DVRing and catching up. So far so good.

Also for those interested. I saw a rerun on history from a year or so ago. Called "Valkyrie A plot to kill Hitler." If you enjoyed the movie "valkyrie" this 2 hour show is worth watching. Takes you more indepth with the families and the planning behind it all. Really an interesting story.
                            Last edited by macthunder; 10-24-2012, 07:37 AM.

Comment

I thought last night's show was outstanding again. Some of the most boring topics we ever covered in high school American History seem a lot more interesting now for some reason. Last night was pretty much all about Andrew Carnegie or "Carnigy" as a few of them pronounced it. Talk about his steel empire and how it was build and touched alot on the Homestead Rebellion the Johnstown Flood. Definitely helps you to understand why unions were needed in America.

Comment

Working...
                              X