Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/themacon/public_html/core/vb/string.php on line 747

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/themacon/public_html/core/vb/string.php on line 747

"Carrier" on PBS - The MAC Online Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
"Carrier" on PBS Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Carrier" on PBS

On PBS right now is the multi-part series "Carrier". It's about some of the 5,200 people on board the aircraft carrier USS Nimitz. Pretty interesting stuff.

Re: "Carrier" on PBS

Amazing stuff isn’t it, downright craaaazy how huge they are.
    It amazes me how many things are on TV that was classified while I was in. The other day I saw the full view of our radio room on our sub, when I was onboard I wasn’t allowed to be in, and I had a TS and above clearance.
    Peace,
    Dave
    P.S. We always called the surface ships “targets” and the sailors that were on them “skimmer pukes”. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by BuckeyeDave View Post
      P.S. We always called the surface ships “targets” and the sailors that were on them “skimmer pukes”. ;)
      To which anyone on a aircraft carrier should respond, "How many G's can you pull in that thing?"
      :)

Comment

Originally posted by mojoe View Post
        To which anyone on a aircraft carrier should respond, "How many G's can you pull in that thing?" :)
        Whaaaaa... I don't get it.
        Peace,
        Dave

Comment

Saw it as well last night. Interesting to say the least.

I have been on the USS Midway, a carrier from the end of WWII through the first gulf war. It was an impressive piece.

I was real close to the USS John Stennis, a newer carrier, a few years ago when they were coming into port in San Diego. Didnt get to go on it but was within 30 yards and WOW, that was a very impressive floating piece of real estate.

I think at the end they said it would be a 10 part series so last night I would imagine was the first two. I stand corrected...someone else stated that this 10 part series is running in consecutive nights....2 hours a night starting sunday and ending thursday.
          Last edited by thavoice; 04-28-2008, 02:11 PM.

Comment

While I was at NAS Pensacola for tech school, they were tearing down an old aircraft carrier along the coast. It was amazing to what the progression of the sheet metal coming off an all. Soon after I left there for my next base, they took it our couple miles and sunk it to make it a reef. Cool stuff.

Comment

Working...
            X